Unions?

<b> Forum for the announcement of important TESL/TEFL items and events </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

.Sarah.

Unions?

Post by .Sarah. » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:44 pm

Hello and Happy New Year!

Has anyone been ripped off by an employer and challenged them through a union?

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:31 pm

I have helped to start a union and we certainly worked with a number of teachers over the years to uphold their rights. I never personally had to use the union in that way but of course, the whole organization supported me in getting higher wages and better conditions. What is it that you specifically want to know?

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:43 am

I was a member of a teachers' union for forty years. You have to explain your question a little better though. Do you work for a school district that has a union contract?

.Sarah.

Post by .Sarah. » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:12 pm

Thanks for both of your replies - I'm sorry I should have explained a bit more what I'm interested in finding out!

I find it incredible that every teacher I have met has been exploited by an employer at some point in their career. I returned to the UK last year and my first employer was a complete nightmare. I tried to find someone to complain to - everybody I contacted, including the British Council said there were no unions for TEFL teachers. In fact, in the ten years I have been teaching abroad, I have only ever met unionised teachers in France. Thankfully now I am working in an excellent school but I really want to find out more about unions for our sector, both here and abroad.

I want to know as much as possible so I can take action here and raise awareness of these issues with the teachers I come into contact with. That's why I'm interested in hearing your stories - whether you've set up a union yourself (fabulous! - how did you go about it? What was the reaction from teachers and employers?), have been a member (what organisations are available in your region?), or have challenged an employer (what was the outcome?).

Thank you.

Sarah

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:36 pm

I don't know the atmosphere in the UK towards unions but in Canada we have them usually or some sort of professional organization. I preferred the professional organization because they did more than fight for salary and conditions but promoted further education and continuing education.

I guess in your case, I would go to the strongest union around and find out what is required to start one. I would probably keep it quiet at first because people have been fired for "other" reasons when the bosses found out they were trying to form a union. You can sound out your colleagues informally to make sure you have a quota. There are strict instructions on what to do and the other unions usually have an idea of how to go about establishing one. You can often join under an existing union or professional organization like a teaching organization. No matter how great your employer is, there are situations that arise that need negotiations and it is helpful to have someone outside your school to do that. You have to pay union or professional dues of course so it does eat into your salary but overall seems to be worth it. The ESL teachers with our board have benefited over the years with higher salaries and better working conditions and now are getting $20,000 buy outs because the programs are not needed as much. Just be careful but don't let anyone discourage you and try to get a partner for support on the bad days.

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:39 pm

I think it would depend on the laws in the country you were operating in, and whether it was a private or public employer. In my case, there is a collective bargaining law in California which provided the legal backing.

.Sarah.

Post by .Sarah. » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:26 pm

Thank you for your ideas. I have heard that there are two strong unions in the UK that accept members from our sector. I am waiting to hear from them and will hopefully be able to get something moving soon!