Teaching Multi-level classes. Advice?

<b>Forum for teachers teaching adult education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

ElizTwig

Teaching Multi-level classes. Advice?

Post by ElizTwig » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:44 pm

I only recently started teaching after graduating University, and I believe I was hired in desperation in a quickly expanding school. My employers gave me a book of our curriculum and threw me in the lion's den.

I teach a small ESL class in Canada, and my students range form absolutely no English (including one student with special needs) to low-intermediate students who can get by fairly well.

My questions is about occupying the lower levels with material that won't bore them. I'm doing ok with the higher levels, but I've basically been giving my lower levels tracing pages with vocab words, crosswords with pictures as hints, and I spend time practicing speaking and reading aloud with them while the upper levels work on written assignments.

What else can I give to my lower level students? What else can I do to divide my attention equally? Does anyone have a good online resource for low lever students?

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:19 pm

Check with your employer to see if he has a library of materials. Other teachers usually leave things from past classes.

Otherwise go to the local or main library and see what they have under ESL or Literacy. If you are near a college or university that has ESL training courses, they will have books in the bookstore.

I would suggest something with a a tape that they can follow along. Or something on the computer - there are many ESL courses that have a video on Youtube.

The school boards often have material that you can borrow as well. Visit a local adult class and talk to the teachers about materials.

There are often professional organizations in the major cities that provide ongoing training and help for new teachers, conferences and such.

cralsies

Re: Teaching Multi-level classes. Advice?

Post by cralsies » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:29 am

ElizTwig wrote:Does anyone have a good online resource for low lever students?
Are you familiar with eslprintables.com? It's a fantastic resource exchange site where members upload and share their worksheets/materials in order to download and use other teachers' worksheets/materials. I've been using it for years ~ there are tons and tons of resources for students of all ages and proficiency levels. I'm sure you'll find plenty; just as long as you have materials of your own to share.

Cheers,