Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need New Student Information

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Elementary Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
newguy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:31 am    Post subject: Need New Student Information Reply with quote

Help!!! I'm just starting out my elementary school teaching career and I have a new student who has recently immigrated from Viet Nam. I need to find out about any valuable information that may be helpful with making him comfortable in his new environment. I don't really know a whole lot about the culture in Viet Nam and what traditions they hold. What would be most important information to obtain in relation to the new student's culture and what's the easiest (and fastest) way to get it?

thanks,
the new guy
sita

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi newguy!

I suggest you have a look here:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/destinations/south_east_asia/vietnam/

Best wishes
Siān
newguy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info sita. i was able to find a little bit of similar information on vietnam and it looks like any bit of information i can find will be useful. would it be helpful, or more confusing for the student if i were to try to learn some of the language and use it periodically? that's assuming i could learn even one word! :0

--newguy--
Lorikeet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what the situation is in the area you are teaching. (Are there many Vietnamese around? Is this student the only one? What kind of support system does the student have?) In my experience, learning a language is not something you can do in a couple of weeks. ; Rolling Eyes I don't think there is any danger that you are going to confuse your student. I started learning Chinese when I started teaching adults in Chinatown. I never became fluent, but I was able to use some elementary phrases, and best of all, my students knew I was trying to learn like they were, and responded positively to my efforts. In addition, I became better aware of some of the differences between the languages. There was never a danger of them successfully communicating with me in Chinese since I wasn't really fluent, but there was a lot of goodwill. So I'd say do whatever seems right to you.
tedium

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what age group(s) would be most likely to recognize that sort of effort?
hamster80

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work as an ESL para at an elementary school, and we have pair of sisters from Viet Nam. While I don't speak any Vietnamese, when we come across a vocabulary word that gives them trouble, I have them teach me the Vietnamese word as well. For the rest of the lesson, I try to use the word in both languages... I haven't had much formal ESL training, so I don't know what the official opinion is on this strategy, but it's been working very well with these girls. They take great pride in their language, and this helps them to make the connections between the two languages. I've also used this with my Spanish-, Nuer- and Arabic-speaking students, with similar success.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Elementary Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: