The subjects taught in each grade

<b> Forum for elementary education ESL/EFL teachers </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

hrjeena

The subjects taught in each grade

Post by hrjeena » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:20 am

I am Jeena Elsa Thomas from India. I work in HR Department of a Software Company. I was actually searching for a few forum sites where i can contact teachers in USA. My cousin is actually planning to relocate to USA with her kids so that they can start their schooling , and start her kids' academic schooling in USA. She wanted to check out the subjects/syllabus followed in USA schools from Grade 1 to Grade 12. I thought teachers in USA can help me out in selecting the best school and the syllabus. Anybody kindly tell me, the common subjects taught in USA Schools from 1st Grade to 12th Grade. Thank you for your time and please reply

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:10 am

I moved this here because "Preschool" is for students 3 or 4 years old usually. Elementary can be from kindergarten to 5th grade or 8th grade, depending on the school. I think the syllabus of what is taught varies by state.

anajones33

USA Curriculum

Post by anajones33 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:59 pm

Hi.. it really depends on what state your sister is relocating to. Do her children speak English? If they do not they might be placed in an English classroom with an English as a Second Language (ESL) teacher coming in for an hour each day to help with their English language learning. It might be helpful to seek what states have Bilingual Education in their native tongues. You can also check http://www.ed.gov/ for additional help. Each state does have its own curriculum which is aligned to the National Department of Education's Curriculum Guidelines. She would want to do some serious research on the state she's moving to. She may want to read local newspapers' education sections or get a states overall grade for academics from the website above. I wish her the best of luck.

sophica

Post by sophica » Sat May 14, 2011 3:48 am

Hi as said by anajones33, Check whether the children can speak English language. I will give you one more suggestion: hire a private tutor to teach English and other subjects. Have a visit to tutorz.com, where you can find many private tutors to help you.

I think English, Math, Science, Reading would be common subjects for grades till 12th. Best of Luck.