Grammar question: People use drugs to escape (from) reality

<b>Forum for the discussion of Applied Linguistics </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

hereinchina

Grammar question: People use drugs to escape (from) reality

Post by hereinchina » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:37 pm

Hello,
I'm not sure if I should say "escape" or "escape from". Are all four of the following sentences grammatically correct?
1. People use drugs because they want to "escape" reality.
2. People use drugs because they want to "escape from" reality.
3. I moved to the country to "escape" the concrete jungle.
4. I moved to the country to "escape from" the concrete jungle.

PaulV

Post by PaulV » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:23 pm

Escape can be used as either a transitive or intransitive verb. The dictionary indicates that when used to mean getting away or slipping away from some sort of confinement or restraint, the intransitive form is used. When used to indicate getting away from some sort of pursuer, such as the police, the transitive form should be used.

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:29 am

Ultimately it doesn't make much sense to worry about whether a preposition is obligatory or not when the noun that it heads (the P + N together make a prepositional phrase), which would be just an object rather than part of a prepositional phrase if the preposition were absent, can itself also be omitted: Some people use drugs because they want to "escape" ((from) reality).

You'd be far better IMHO concerning yourself with those verbs that are 100% transitive (and therefore definitely require objects). For example, 'evade' will always be marked as transitive in any dictionary you care to look in:

*He evaded.
He evaded | the police. (V + O)
*He evaded | from the police. (V + prepositional/preposition-led phrase rather than an object (note however that a prepositional phrase can postmodify an object - see example after next below)).

He evaded | the question.
He evaded | the question from the Shadow Chancellor. (V + N modified by prepositional phrase).
He evaded | the Shadow Chancellor('s question).
*He evaded | from the Shadow Chancellor.
Last edited by fluffyhamster on Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hereinchina

I appreciate your answers

Post by hereinchina » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:50 pm

Hello,
I appreciate your answers.
Have a great day.