Building Academic Language in ELLs

<b> Forum for the discussion of all aspects of bilingual education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

nthom814

Building Academic Language in ELLs

Post by nthom814 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:47 am

I am currently reading Forbidden Language and it is discussing Proposition 203 in Arizona, which placed severe restrictions on bilingual education. However, I continue to see the benefits of bilingual education for ELLs, especially when they are limited English proficient students that are acquiring academic language. My question is for anyone who has had experience teaching ELLs. If you are in a school that has restricted bilingual education or you do not speak your students' native languages, what are some best practices to build their academic language and improve reading and writing skills that are essential to educational success?

Mromero

Not in this setting but learned some

Post by Mromero » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:49 am

I am currently a bilingual Teacher but I have been in this program for a while now and did learn that there are many strategies you can use to teach skills to ELL students when you do not speak their native language. Strategies like TPR and picture prompts are pretty effective ways to teach ELL's when you do not speak the language. But the most effective way is repetition and constantly assessing.