American culture

<b> Forum for the discussion of all aspects of bilingual education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

aziza22

American culture

Post by aziza22 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:04 pm

Should you teach about “American” events such as the Super Bowl? Whatever this day is to us as Americans, it is definitely a part of our culture. The customs around this day can be shared with our ESL students. It also serves as a starting point to ask our students about similar events in their home countries and we can encourage them to practice their English by telling us about them.

arp10

Post by arp10 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:12 am

I teach 2/3 grade ESL students and they are always so excited to learn about the different events we celebrate. We recently did activities for Groundhog's Day, the students were engaged and had many questions about why we have these traditions. I agree that it is also a great opportunity for the students to tell you about some of the different traditions they celebrate from their culture. Many of these students will continue schooling in our country and I believe it is a great opportunity for them to learn about the culture.
Last edited by arp10 on Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:27 am

As long as you tell them that North Americans have different cultures. The Super Bowl is not part of my culture. I didn't even notice it had happened.

wenrodriguez

Post by wenrodriguez » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:55 am

Yes I would teach about "American" events like the Super Bowl. I would not glorify it but it is good to expand a students knowledge about their new home or a new concept. I have a student that has been in the country for 1 year and he is amazed at American football. He wants to know more about "American" things. It has sparked his interest in trade books and other things. His reading is improving and background knowledge has grown. It's all about enrichment.

smontaez

American Culture

Post by smontaez » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:58 pm

Yes, absolutely teach about American events as well as American culture. Try to incorporate it in as many lessons as you can. It gives ELLs an opportunity to speak about similar events in their home countries because it would be something they know about. It is also time for the teacher to be creative with KWL charts or other graphic organizers to have students compare and contrast and just have a class discussion about it. Again, it is an opportunity to engage in conversation.