Social Promotion

<b> Forum for material writers </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

anajones33

Social Promotion

Post by anajones33 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:31 am

Our class grew. We have Pedro. Predro is from Puerto Rico. He comes to us with an IEP. He only speaks Spanish. He is fourteen years. old. He is a lovely young man. He is a very respectable young man with many stories. I had the chance to DRA (Directive Reading Assessment) him and have him on Level 6 (first grade reading leve). I placed him on Starfall.com and he became bored within the first 4 minutes. We placed him on FirstinMath.com and he was bored with that too. He was unable to write a paragraph about a topic about "your favorite person". Did I mention I teach 5th grade. So if Ido the math he will probably graduate when he is 21. Pedro was left back in first, third, and fourth grade. His report card for the first marking period in P.R. is all F's and one D. So my question is: should we consider social promotion to at least the 7th grade (he belongs in 8th grade) and create a plan that will give him intense reading and writing help on a one on one setting whenever possible? Or do we keep him 3 years behind?