What have you done for your Demo Classes

<b>Forum for teachers teaching TOEFL </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

mdan1984

What have you done for your Demo Classes

Post by mdan1984 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:10 pm

Hi guys

I want to know your DEMO class experiences. We all know that in some schools (Especially in China) they will ask you to perform a demo class for the students as part of their interviewing process. I would like to know what you guys did, exactly, for demo classes. Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced class demo class experiences greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys. I know it's easy. But I am not looking for responses like "I normally do something that gets the kids involved, I play a game or....."
Would like the topic you chose to focus on.

Best Regards
Michael

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:59 am

Speciific grammar lesssons go over well. Chose something you know well and you can do it all levels. Make posters, design worksheets, use a song that demonstrates the point, do a game, have a discussion. Follow the
rules of a lesson - introduction, examples, practice and then review. If the teachers who are reviewing your lesson go away with new ideas and really understand the grammar point, you are in.

I can't give you a specific grammar point because I don't know what you know. Check in the back of the series that you use until you find something that really sparks your interest, go on the Internet and find out all you can about it and get excited.

Practice the lesson in front of a a real friend who will tell you about annoying personal habits ( do you say umm too many times, scratch you nose) and make sure your dress is appropriate for your actions - no short skirt to come up when you are reaching to write on the top of the board, no stains to distract, no white socks to show under your dark pants and so on.