English or Swahili?

<b> Forum for the discussion of all aspects of bilingual education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

mmillerprof

English or Swahili?

Post by mmillerprof » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:24 pm

Hello: I will be teaching English to Tanzanian secondary students. Although they learn English, they have a greater proficiency in Swahili. My English is fluent, but my Swahili is perhaps advanced (not fluent yet). Which language do you think I should use primarily? Thanks!

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:50 am

They will probably push for Sawhili if they know you can speak it and you will probably use it when you see a confused look on their faces to help to explain a point. I am sure you will find a good balance because you might be the only source of English language that they get consistently and they will have a lot to learn.

However, teachng you more or correct Swahili is always good for the relationship and since they will have to explain in English because "you don't understand" (and do that often even if you do), you are helping them learn as well.

I would also check with your bosses to see if they have any objection to you using Swahili. People who hire you to teach English often want you to speak only English or as much as possible.