decade long debate

<b> Forum for the discussion of all aspects of bilingual education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

staciholland

decade long debate

Post by staciholland » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:47 am

Recently I visited the website usenglish.org and viewed the vast number of English only bills waiting to be passed into law and it struck me as odd the numbers, or lack of support many of this bills have. For example, the National language Act of 2009 only has 14 co-sponsors out of 100 senators that number speaks volume to the value placed on diversity in the United States of America. Clearly English is the dominate language; however, the need to deem it as such is view as egocentric by many and useless by others. English is the language of money, but diversity is the spice that makes us the most powerful nation in the world.

cencarnacion

Decade Long Debate

Post by cencarnacion » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:04 pm

Not only is English spoken around the world, the "model minority" takes pride in speaking the "white way" because according to them, it is the appropriate English. In the meantime, ountries which can do business with our government in our language and with other countries in their languages; are enjoying the benefits because they are helping themselves with the profits they make by helping us add more millions to our national debt. Plain and simple English. :o

smontaez

Decade long debate

Post by smontaez » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:51 pm

I so agree with your posting. Our class was required to write a letter to our local congressman or senator regarding a current Bilingual Education or Language Policy issue. I decided to write my local senator regarding Bill #HR 3753 – Providing Resources to Improve Dual Language Education Act of 2009, and low and behold, my senator was not a co-sponsor. In response to my letter, my concern was not even addressed and the boiler plate reply, “…thank you for taking the time to write”….I will keep your concerns in mind etc. Too many hidden agenda is impeding the educational process and unfortunately ELLs are suffering the consequences.