ESL buddy program

<b> Forum for the discussion of all aspects of bilingual education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

tcollura

ESL buddy program

Post by tcollura » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:21 pm

Does anyone have a peer ESL program implemented in their school? If so how does it work and how well does the program work? If not what are some opinions experienced ESL teacher might have on a volunteer program where students are given a short training and tips on how to teach ESL? The EL's would be assigned a student to meet with once a day to work on English speaking and reading. It's basically a tutoring system, but set up to accelerate the progress our students learning English. The benefits of such a program might help the ESL students feel more comfortable along with a faster learning time of English. The students serving as the peer teachers would obviously have to have a desire to teach English and be selected rigorously.

KRizzo

Post by KRizzo » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:24 am

We had a program at the school where I was a teacher last year. It was through the "work study" program that was implemented at the high school. One period a day the student (who had interest in becoming a teacher - this was usually the case but not always) came in to an ESL classroom and sat with one student and read with them or tutored them in different ways (usually assignments given by the teacher). It worked out really well and the student got credit for their time.

tcollura

Buddy Program

Post by tcollura » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:28 pm

That's awesome!!! I think that at my school where we have a lunch/ student prep block they could use a program like this. The 35 minutes that the the student is in prep they could meet with their peer ESL tutor and spend that time with them. Could you post the programs guidelines and setup so that I can see if it's something that my school could use? Thanks.

Mromero

Great!!

Post by Mromero » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:34 am

I love this idea!!! students could have a buddy in an older grade that sits with them at lunch and helps them with their BICS so that they can improve on their CALP. Please post the guidelines for this or let me know.