EO vs. BE history

<b> Forum for the discussion of all aspects of bilingual education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Bethany.Blaine

EO vs. BE history

Post by Bethany.Blaine » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:16 pm

I'm relatively new to the world of ESL, English only, and Bilingual Education, but I have to say that I am finding the history behind it all really interesting. EO and BE laws/acts were never really touched on in my history classes from middle school to high school. I don't know if it's different depending which state you are from? Although we were taught about immigration laws, history classes seemed to ignore or just leave out the debate of bilingual education or English only. There have been so many different laws and acts put into effect since the 1900s and it's a shame that 1) there really is no right or wrong answer to the debate, and 2) it's not something students are really learning about.

It seems as though there have been an equal number of laws/acts put into effect that support both BE and EO. No matter which side of the debate you're on, you've got to wonder how many more it will take to put an end (or at least help ease the tension) to English only or bilingual!