Intensive English Programs

<b> Forum for teachers and administrators of IEP programs </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

NatalieGagnonULAVAL

Intensive English Programs

Post by NatalieGagnonULAVAL » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:41 pm

I believe intensive English programs are a good option for schools to offer, especially at a secondary level. This type of education is the closest you can get to immersion when unavailable at an early age. Engaging in an all English environment certainly facilitates students’ learning since it allows them to interact more in the target language, develop an auditory ease with the newly heard phonemes, notice stress patterns, etc. Intensive English programs allow students to progress much faster than regular groups, therefore allowing them to go deeper into their learning process in their later years since they have more time to devote to other educational subjects such as literature, culture, etc.

cyndie28

Post by cyndie28 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:08 pm

I think that having intense English programs is an excellent way to introduce English into someone’s life. It is a real learning situation where students are put in English people’ shoes: what I mean is that it is much more easier to learn a new language when the language is seen every minute of a day where as regular English programs sees a second language once or twice a week. I think that intensive English programs are the future of bilingual students: students will be talking a language at home and then another at school.

MegCast

Post by MegCast » Mon May 21, 2012 4:39 pm

I agree that IEP programs could be a very effective way for students to learn a new language. From what I have read, it seems that most IEP programs are offered through 2-4 year colleges and universities. Has anyone seen this type of program offered in public secondary schools? The full-time approach that this program offers can be very intense and requires students to really commit a lot of time to learning the language. I wonder if this is the best approach for teenage students, who are often new to prioritizing commitments and responsibilities. Although, such an intensive program could teach ELLs a significant amount of language in a shorten amount of time. I like the approach of Sheltered English for secondary school students. This way, students get to work with a teacher who is trained to teach both ESL and specific subject matters. If English instruction is content centered, they will be at less of a disadvantage when they are submerged into regular English speaking classes.

ischen

IEP for Elementary School Aged Students

Post by ischen » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:28 pm

Is IEP effective and widely used for Elementary School Aged Students? Is the native language used at all for teaching English grammar. I am teaching English in Taiwan at a English Cram school and it appears you still need to use Chinese to explain English Grammar also for the definition or translation of words. Is IEP effective primarily for High School and College students with basic English education from elementary and junior high schools?