Language Policies in the classroom....

<b> Forum for the discussion of all aspects of bilingual education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

KRizzo

Language Policies in the classroom....

Post by KRizzo » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:02 pm

As educators - How are we able to effectively recreate language policies in the classroom to better our students education by bridging the divide between policy and practice and gaining the support of our administration in the process? Any ideas....

The book Negotiating Language Policies in Schools brings up many interesting scenarios......

JDRRowan

Post by JDRRowan » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:09 am

I agree that it is sometimes difficult to bridge the gap between certain expectations and what actually works in your classroom. I like the way that the Philadelphia School District viewed administrators and teachers as important in the decision making process. Many times, decisions are made by people who are so removed from the situation that the program is made with things other that the student’s education in mind. Another point that the Philadelphia School District did that I found unique was a 2 day language policy retreat, in which, people in varying levels of involvement with the school district met to discuss their policies.