Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forbidden Language

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Bilingual Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lek72

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Forbidden Language Reply with quote

After reading the first five chapters of a book called Forbidding Language, I found that the restrictive language policies in California, Arizona, and Massachussett did not help closing the achievement gaps for the English language learners. This piece of information supports my belief in bilingual education/ESL. I strongly belief that it is important for students to be able to maintain their native language (L1) and culture through bilingual/multicultural education. This will help those ELL students, as well as native English speakers, be educated and prepared to function in a culturally diverse nation--and in a society that is becoming global. What do you think?
suarez07

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Bilingual Education/Classrooms Reply with quote

I agree. I have read the chapters as well and feel that given the right perameters, and direction, a billingual classroom/education is important for our ELLs. It is amazing to see how many states, policies, and legislations are all dealing with our non-English speaking studnts. Some are not supportive, some are, and others just don't have a clue!! I feel that as a nation, we should strive for intelligence and success as a whole.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Bilingual Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: