Teacher Awareness

<b> Forum for the discussion of all aspects of bilingual education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

tcollura

Teacher Awareness

Post by tcollura » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:01 pm

Do you think that we can increase the quality of our education for EL's by offering more professional development for teachers of all subjects in ESL? I think that if we offered more trainings possibly by the ESL teacher in the district offered to teachers at night or on weekends a few times a year on a boluntary basis, but advertised highly we can improve the quality of our instruction for our ELL's. It's just a minor change that could effect it in a big way.

cmq98

Post by cmq98 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:16 pm

I would be all for this in my distrcit, which has a high ELL population. Mainstream teachers with ELL's in their classrooms simply do not know how to educate them and get frustrated when they can not complete the work in their classrooms due to proficiency level. I think, at minimum, all teachers with ELL's in their classrooms should be trained in sheltered instruction or SIOP as some states call it.

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:05 pm

I think this is a great idea. Who is "we". Are you able to change the laws or introduce courses and provide money and teachers for those courses. It would be a start. Parents can also educate the teachers during parent/teacher conferences. If they don't feel they can express themselves clearly they can bring and advocate.

lee115

Teacher awareness

Post by lee115 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:38 am

It is a good idea to have all teachers trained on how to instruct ELLs. I have been in schools where teachers have turned up their faces when referring to the ELL students in their classrooms. It seems these teachers have no patience for these students. But perhaps if the teachers knew how to help these students, they wouldn't have such disgust for the students.