Activities for a class with many proficiency levels

<b> Forum for discussing activities and games that work well in the classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

DBaccaro

Activities for a class with many proficiency levels

Post by DBaccaro » Mon May 21, 2012 4:26 pm

Hello, I am currently in school earning my certificate to teach ESL. I was wondering what type of activities I should do if I get a class that has many different proficiency levels. I want to be able to make it challenging but not too challenging for everyone in the class. Also to go along with the activities, how do I cater to all students in my lesson plans? If I create lessons and activites that are intermediate, they might be too difficult for the beginners and too easy for the advanced learners. Is it likely to have a class like this with so many different proficiency levels?

AnnJ.Ring

Activities for many levels

Post by AnnJ.Ring » Tue May 22, 2012 3:31 pm

Hello,

One good activity would be to create a crossword puzzle using vocabulary that is common, but would be challenging for beginners but a review for the intermediates and advanced levels. Maybe put the word bank on the board so the students could copy it in their notebooks, then go through and define the words but make sure the students are also defining the words so that you don't have to write that on the board too. Then, set the students to work on the crossword puzzle in small groups but make sure they're helping each other and not just giving answers. If you see some of them really struggling, then step in. Another activity that comes to mind is a matching game where there's 2 different worksheets-1 will have the vocabulary words and the other will have the definition. Half of the class will get the Vocabulary sheet and the other half will get the defnitions and they will have to either pair up or move around and ask "What is the definition for...." or "I have the definition of 'xyz.' Does someone know what word it goes to?" That way they are using the language and speaking in English. To make it a little harder, the students should do introductions when meeting each other.