my esl student can not read or write spanish

<b> Forum for elementary education ESL/EFL teachers </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

candigrl63

my esl student can not read or write spanish

Post by candigrl63 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:10 am

as a student teacher of 4th grade, i am stumped. i have an early intermediate celdt student who speaks spanish fluently but cant read or write it. my problem is how to make adaptations for him when i lecture and expect my students to write about what i lecture. he is two years below in his reading level also. any ideas?
delaney

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:45 pm

Is there any chance to have him tested? Is he receiving help in reading? Has he been tested for Irlen Syndrome? If he speaks good Spanish, do you?

If you have answered yes to the above and just are worried about him in your class, might I suggest that you tape your lectures and transcribe them for him or at least tape the main points and transcribe them.

Check to see if he understands all the English words that you include in the main points and translate into Spanish if he is missing them.

Get him to sit with a good student and have him watch the good student makes notes. Let them talk afterwards to ask questions and explain things to each other.

Try to make sure there are a lot of visuals that you point to clearly so if you are telling the students about a subject, you are pointing to the picture of the word you are saying as much as possible.

Have a list of the technical words you use on a subject quite prominent and when you use them point to them, at least for the first couple of times.

Write headings on the board as you go and simple points or words so the students getting the spelling of difficult words and see the structure of your lecture.

If you can set up a blog for the students, you can put your lecture on the blog and get some discussion afterwards.

Check his notebook frequently to see where he is missing items and try to get him a mentor from his class or a higher grade who will help him review each night for a short time.

Try to find books at a lower level than the textbook for him to read about the subject. There are many picture books that he can learn from.

Whatever you do to review for him, games, posters, videos, puzzles, magazines, will also help your lower level students.

Try to find something for him to do in the class that highlights some ability he does have so he won't feel at the bottom all the time. Can he take attendance or be in charge of some classroom routine, run the projector or be responsible to bring equipment? You could even arrange for him to take an "important" note to the principal from time to time with the principal in on the self esteem raising project you are trying to do with him.