Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forbidden Language

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Bilingual Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunflower03

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Forbidden Language Reply with quote

I am currently reading the book Forbidden Language and am perplexed as to how we continue to struggle serving ELL students. If the issue of serving ELL students began during the Civil Rights period, why do we contine to struggle with this population? Why haven't we trained or done enough for teachers and/or learned how to teach and reach these students. Why is it taking us this long to figure out what works best for these students? I am eager to read on in the following chapters, but what do you think?
teachnj

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started reading this book for a class but I have felt as you for a long time now. A few years ago I read an article that described the struggles of Bil Ed students and teachers. I thought it was a current article but when I checked the date, it was written in 1979! Little seems to change in Bil Ed. It seems to me that most Bil Ed programs are not run as they should be because Districts always cut corners. There is no coherent thread that runs through Bil Ed and this makes it a difficult area to study and come up with effective solutions.
Sally Olsen

Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Money, politics and power.
teachnj

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are so right. I think it behooves the powers that be to start thinking about our students and not about their own advancement. Sometimes we forget the awesome power we have as teachers, administrators, etc. to affect lives. We should always opt to advance the lives of children because they are truly our future.
Sally Olsen

Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Canadian education. We now have three generations who can speak, read and write, English and French and likely have another language they use at home.
lek72

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Forbidden Language Reply with quote

I feel the same way. I think the reason why we are still having a hard time reaching the ELLs is because some language policy makers and educators do not believe in multicultural education. They do not think that learning/knowing another language is beneficial to a child's education. Therefore, they push for English-only education.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Bilingual Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: