Bilingual education

<b> Forum for the discussion of all aspects of bilingual education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

NatalieGagnonULAVAL

Bilingual education

Post by NatalieGagnonULAVAL » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:41 pm

Bilingual education, for me, is one of the greatest advantages for a young child to grow up with. As a native bilingual myself, speaking English at home and French in the community, I believe that I was very lucky to have such an occasion of being raised as so. Just like some other people, at a very early age, I did have some trouble dealing with both languages, due to the fact that I also had my mother speaking Spanish to me. Sometimes, many languages are hard to manage when we are younger since we are simultaneously developing grammatical patterns, new vocabulary, and many other elements of each of the two, or three, languages.

cyndie28

Post by cyndie28 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:07 pm

I think that English movies can help learners to improve their vocabulary and the way they approach someone when it comes to having a discussion with this person. Listening to native speakers is an excellent way to improve students’ oral skills and listening as well. Even if learners don’t understand everything that is said during a discussion on the screen, they can still notice some grammar rules or new words that they wouldn’t have learned in a regular English class.

eslwendy

Post by eslwendy » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:49 am

I agree that you were fortunate to grow up bilingual. I've wondered why in the great immersion only debate, no one is mentioning that children who are exposed to two languages early on develop an ability to learn other languages later in life. My Cuban-American cousin-in-law grew up speaking Spanish and English. She later double-majored in French and Business. While rising in her international business career, she learned Portugese, and credits her early childhood bilingual skills with making this possible. I feel if we unlock this potential early on, these kids can have unlimited possibilities.