Writing a preschool ESL curriculum - Alphabet Order

<b> Forum for teachers working with preschool children </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Should the alphabet be taught to beginners in A-Z order?

Yes
No votes
No
100%

Total votes: 3

J0anne

Writing a preschool ESL curriculum - Alphabet Order

Post by J0anne » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:29 am

Hi all!

I am based in Sumatra and have just started a job writing a new preschool curriculum for 4-5 year olds.

I have been reading online that the alphabet doesn't need to be taught in order...that it's OK to teach letter forms and sounds in any order and to worry abut what order they go in at a later date.

I wonder then if anyone has any advice on what order is most effective for young children to learn?? Start with vowels, or the beginning letters of familiar objects (eg. Ball, Cat)? Or is it in fact better to work through the alphabet? I've been doing loads of online research...but when it comes to this I'm struggling.

Thanks for your advice ^_^

longshikong

Post by longshikong » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:00 pm

I voted 'no' because if you're teaching writing along with pronunciation, you may want to start with letters that share similar characteristics. If that's not the case, then following the alphabet is probably your best bet as you can use the alphabet song.

BTW: For teaching phonics, check out this video and corresponding worksheets. http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/alphablocks/

silencedobetter

Post by silencedobetter » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:25 am

longshikong

Post by longshikong » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:14 am

silencedobetter wrote:Are you teaching phonics?
No. By the time VYLs develop enough language (orally) in their L2 to make phonics instruction worthwhile, they've already learned how to read the alpabet), at least here in China