Does anyone know about the 'Heart English School' Japan

<b> Forum for the announcement of important TESL/TEFL items and events </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

lionsarch

Does anyone know about the 'Heart English School' Japan

Post by lionsarch » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:47 am

Hello,
I am considering applying to work for a company called the 'Heart English School' in Mito, Japan. Has anyone worked for them before or know anything about them? I would be very grateful for any information. Im not sure if they are entirely above board.
Kind Regards,
Lion.

I am sorry if this topic does not fit properly into this section.

Stan

Post by Stan » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:58 pm

I worked there in 2002 for a while, as an English teacher.
The work itself, as with most of its kind, was interesting and rewarding.
I would not work the company again, however, as I do not feel that I was treated honestly.
Without writing too much, or something that could create any legal reprisal, what was asked of me after signing the contract is not what was asked of me beforehand, so I left.
I went up the road, literally, and worked for a man at the top end of the "good to work for" ladder, a small independent school owner.
What a coincidence that I was searching for schools in Japan again, having been back in the UK for 4 years, and saw your post.
If you'd like to give me your email address, I'll tell you about Heart, and about Mito city.

Monkee

Heart English School

Post by Monkee » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:59 am

This might be a little out of date and no use to you but I'm currently working at Heart in Mito and find it very dishonest. They treat ALT's poorly with little support and the pay is laughable. I advise all not to go near this school. There are many better schools to choose from and I'll be leaving Heart.
Good luck and stay away for your own sanity! :lol:

rpbooth1

Post by rpbooth1 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:29 pm

Also a former ALT; loved the work but not the employer; I felt that they were not entirely honest. They are quite up-front about the low pay but seem to be less-so about other things. I left rather than deal with it. :cry:

Monkee

heart school

Post by Monkee » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:18 am

I can't stress enough NOT to get employment from Heart School. The Labour Standards Bureau and Nambu (union) are all too familiar with his shady practises. Take some more time and get a job from somewhere else it will save you a lot of hassle and stress. Since my new job I feel much better, I almost left Japan because of it.
anyway, avoid, avoid, avoid!
the pay IS the worst in Japan, and the conditions suck while the boss is a crook.

Lupin the 3rd

mmmmm

Post by Lupin the 3rd » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:44 pm

I might have a job there :shock:

are there other schools which will accept teachers without degrees that pay more or are just better (we have a holiday visa)

otherwise we may just take the job and leave if it is no good... any advise would be great :?

Paul Robinson

Post by Paul Robinson » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:46 am

I would urge anyone who wants a decent job or a decent apartment NOT to work for Heart School because the owner is a ruthless money grabbing tyrant and his manager Kent is almost the same. They only care about business and money. There are plenty of real English schools that care about the teachers and students. I can't stress this enough, Heart is a BAD company.