Best Ontario Curriculum ESL Textbooks

<b> Forum for the discussion on ESL/EFL textbooks </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

bella0182

Best Ontario Curriculum ESL Textbooks

Post by bella0182 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:59 pm

Hello All!

I am looking to switch our schools textbooks. We are currently running the Ontario courses ESL AO through EO. I find that the textbook we have has too much stuff and the students are not using all of the book before moving on to the next one.

I am having trouble finding an ESL book that at least slightly follows the Ontario ESL curriculum, or at least has books that are not all 400-500 pages long.

I also am looking for less themes, the one I have now has 30-40 themes for each book. I find this just confuses students and fails to engage them as we only spend a day on each theme.

I hope someone out there can help me with this problem.

Every time I try to research books, it is hard because you can only look inside a select few and the rest you have no idea what is on the inside unless you order it. Which my school obviously won't do.

Thank you very much for your help!

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:22 pm

Contact the publishers. They would be silly if they didn't send you free copies if you are going to buy them for your schoolboard.
in the end though it is usually best if you design your own for your situation. It might be what others need eventually and you can send it to publishers.

bella0182

Post by bella0182 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:43 am

I wish I had time to design my own! Unfortunately I do not. The school is new and we run intensive 4 week courses that cram the Ontario curriculum in in a month. I am quite overwhelmed as I am developing each level at the end of each month and am currently just picking and choosing from the Focus on Grammar series, my old school fave Azar and whatever resources I can find or make up on my own.

Would publishers still send me a copy if I am working for a private school?

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:53 pm

It doesn't hurt to ask.