Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is "dressed up" an adjective?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Applied Linguistics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hereinchina

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Is "dressed up" an adjective? Reply with quote

Hello,
I know the expression "dress up" is a phrasal verb and means the following: to
wear clothes that are more formal than the ones you would usually wear. Is the
expression "dressed up" an adjective in following sentences?
1. I was dressed up for the party.
2. I got dressed up for the party.
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'dressed up' there is a past participle + preposition construction, that is, a constituent phrase or even a sort of compound, which is functioning yes as an adjective (or an adjectival, a term which can help make it clearer that this is not a single actual adjective that we're talking about here).

Don't let not knowing the exact form/formal label for something stop you from perfoming function substitution tests:

I was/got drunk/naked for/at the party. ('Drunk' and 'naked' are clearly adjectives, so whatever can fill the same slot will likely also be functioning adjectivally).

(For the sake of comprehensiveness): In just 'I was/got dressed' meanwhile, the 'dressed' is still a participle and a sort of adjectival, and can be thus be called a 'participial adjective'. Note that 'I was dressed' can refer to a "state" (regardless of who exactly did the dressing, the speaker or others), or to what was done by some agent to the speaker (i.e. be "passive" in meaning, as in the fully-explicit 'I was dressed by somebody', versus its active equivalent 'Somebody dressed me'), whilst 'I got dressed' most likely means I did the action myself (cf. the slightly strange-sounding 'I got dessed by somebody') with the result that I could be called 'dressed' (compare 'I dressed myself'). It is therefore something of a misnomer to call the more dynamic variant with 'got' the "get-passive", but I guess that's what analogizing on the basis of structural similarites (rather than actual functional differences) can result in!

Last edited by fluffyhamster on Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:19 am; edited 2 times in total
hereinchina

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: thank you very much Reply with quote

Hello,
I truly appreciate your taking the time to answer my question in such a detailed way.
Best wishes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Applied Linguistics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: