Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teenagers!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Secondary School Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bozzy

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Teenagers! Reply with quote

As I future high school teacher, I understand that teaching teenagers can be a difficult task for many reasons (ability to process more intellectually, longer attention spans - or not, self-image issues, demand to be treated as adults, etc), and I am wondering what is the most pressing issue for those of you that teach teachers. In other words, what makes teaching teenagers difficult (or easy) for you? What are your experiences teaching teenagers? And do you have any advice? Thanks!
Sally Olsen

Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is good to get a book on the biology of teenagers so you will know what is happening when you come into contact with certain behaviours. The most important is that they brain isn't fully developed until 16 or so (of course, depending on the individual) and it means they can't always be empathetic before that. It makes it hard for a teacher to get students on their side because they can't always appreciate your position.

I never found teenagers more difficult than having to deal with some of the adults that had never grown up. It is all in your personality and whether you can adapt quickly, have a sense of humour and a love of your subject. I would suggest putting up a mirror where you can see your face as often as possible. Then smile.
bozzy

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your response, Sally. I think I have all three of those qualities you listed (I'm waiting on the verdict for my sense of humor), but it is good to know that the worst case scenario isn't always the right scenario, meaning that it might not be as bad as some say.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Secondary School Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: