Writing a curriculum

<b> Forum for ESL/EFL teachers working with secondary school students </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

debskirkby

Writing a curriculum

Post by debskirkby » Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:03 am

HI! Happy New Year to all!

I am currently in Japan teaching high school students in a private high school. My head teacher has so far admitted that he doesn't know quite what to do with me as I arrived half way through their year and I have struggled with boredom, still asking if there is anything I can do and offering my services, I have been teaching for a year now and feel somewhat capable and very willing to help but quite useless...

BUT, recently he has asked me to come up with a curriculum for six months or a year starting April, that I would teach alone or with him...yay...I have a project!! Sanity returns!! :)

This has however presented me with other problems:

1. I have never written a curriculum and don't know how to do it! So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Here are the details:

My teaching role: My role is a native speaker English teacher. As far as I can tell there hasn't been many native speakers at this school and nothing has been set up by previous teachers. As far as I can tell the previous teachers did conversation lessons but I don't know what materials they used or if they used any materials etc. I think I'm the first to be asked to write up any formal curriculum.

Where: Japan, private high school

Class size: 20-30 students

student age: 15-17

level: mostly total beginner, also pre-intermediate class

length of class: 45 mins.

no. of lessons per week per class: 1 or 2

students needs: speaking and listening skills

students weaknesses: pronunciation, using L1

Aims/objectives: practical daily needs conversation classes

Textbooks in use: Japanese books (all written with Japanese instructions for tasks and really complicated English sentence structures to put into order etc. when most of them can't even have a basic conversation, quite frustrating...especially as I don't speak much Japanese, find myself guessing what they are supposed to do!)

2. My head teacher is really nice and all but we have quite different ways of teaching English. I don't know about other teachers but I did CELTA and there they taught us to use English only in class. I've talked to my head teacher about this but he seems to think quite differently..."we think translation is quite important as otherwise the students don't understand"...and so I realised this from observing my first classes here... what was "English class" could well have been "Japanese class" for the lack of English that was spoken, and it's the same with most classes I've observed, and if I've had an assistant in class helping me teach in the few lessons I have done so far they have pretty much translated all that I've said!! (I don't know where the line is for absolute beginners with using their L1 for instructions etc and should it be used at all? - sorry, question on the side!!) So I'm not sure how I can plan a curriculum with such different ideals!!?

So sorry this was so long!! Thanks for your patience...and hoping there's someone out there that's come across similar difficulties and can offer some advice...would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:42 pm

Sounds like a tough situation to me, having to overcome the translation mindset. I haven't taught in Japan (although my son did for three years ;) ). He was the "native speaker example" and co-taught with some other teachers as part of the JET program. I remember him drawing pictures of fast foods and having the kids order them like in a restaurant. He did conversations, games, and native speaker modeling.

I wonder if you might get your boss to agree to allow you a certain segment of time called "English only" in the classes you participate in. The students could be informed ahead of time that they are only to speak and listen to English for the 20 minutes? 30 minutes? of your lesson. Anything they don't understand they can ask about later. At least it would give you some time to teach and have students responde without translating interference. You could show by example how an English-only classroom can be run.

My other son is currently studying Japanese in an American high school. The teacher uses only Japanese, but the students often lose a lot because they don't understand. In my opinion there could also be a place for instructions in the native language in a mono-native-language classroom as a time saver and to assure that everyone understands the directions and the assignment.

debskirkby

Post by debskirkby » Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:05 am

That's a real good idea thank you!! Might try that!!

Any other help with writing a curriculum for an English course?

debskirkby

Post by debskirkby » Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:53 am

Just came across a handbook on planning classwork by Sheila Estaire & Javier Zanon...found it kinda useful so here is the link for any who need help with writing a curriculum...

http://www.onestopenglish.com/Freeresou ... /plann.asp