Questions

<b> Forum for elementary education ESL/EFL teachers </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

birdy

Questions

Post by birdy » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:25 am

I am currently studying to become an ESL teacher and I read a book chapter about questioning strategies that enhance interactive learning. As an elementary school teacher I once had a peer observation focusing just on the type of questions I ask. I was surprised, how many questions I asked in one lecture. Therefore, I think the type of questions that teachers ask should be somehow reflected and used strategically. Especially referential questions (questions where the answer is not known) give students the chance to produce more complex sentences. Nevertheless, also questions that want a known answer can be beneficial in for instance asking for specific knowledge or facts, to see if the students understood what they learned. However, I totally agree with the book chapter, that questions should be used wisely and goal oriented.

Brie M.

Post by Brie M. » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:46 am

I agree. Questioning is so important and it can enhance or diminish your lesson. When working with ESL students it is so important to plan some of the questions you would like to ask when working with your students on language and content. The questions should provide students a chance to use open-ended responses. This gives students an opportunity to use their own ideas and/or opinions and receive feedback from the teacher. Open-ended responses welcome authentic language in your ESL classroom.