Assessments & Culture

<b> Forum for the discussion of assessment and testing of ESL/EFL students </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

RachelMHansen

Assessments & Culture

Post by RachelMHansen » Tue May 22, 2012 7:24 pm

I understand the importance of reinforcing the importance of a student’s native culture and viewing it as an asset, as opposed to an obstacle. However, standardized tests in the States are geared towards native English speakers and furthermore geared towards students with a complete understanding of American culture. As a new ESL teacher, here are my questions: How can we enforce “cultural connotations and nuances of English” while preserving a student’s culture. Additionally, how can I account for aspects of culture that are a “given,” yet not necessarily part of a curriculum, so not relevant to teach? Also, on a side note- would it be advantageous for me to learn Spanish? (I am in a school with a Spanish/English bilingual program, but I only speak French and English).

bozzy

Post by bozzy » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:04 pm

Thanks for asking this. I was just thinking about phrases that we use in English that are a "given" (For example, anyone from my area knows what "youse" means). I guess we just have they are explained these nuances.