Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching multiple proficiency levels in the same class

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Elementary Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madeline

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Teaching multiple proficiency levels in the same class Reply with quote

There are different proficiency levels among students in the same class. I don't want to overwhelm the lower level students but then again I don't want it to seem to easy for the higher level students. It is very challenging for me as a new ESL teacher. The challenge is writing lesson plans for the 3 different levels. I know it takes practice and more experience to get the hang of this and hope to one day be an expert in this area. Any suggestions or books that I can read on just lesson planning for three different levels?
ginawirth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try having learning centers in your class. When you have different proficiencies in the same room, centers can work well. For example you can have a writing center which is leveled for the students. The students can go to that center and have an activity that is specified for their level( i.e., students on lower levels can draw the weekly spelling words, intermediate level students can write a sentence and the more advanced students can write a story using the words). The same principal can be applied to any subject area. The student center time allows the teacher time to circulate among the working students to observe and conference with the students as they work. Students like to monitor and observe their own progress. As they become more proficient the students move toward the more difficult tasks within the given centers.
Sally Olsen

Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.amazon.com/Teaching-Multilevel-Classes-Jill-Sinclair/dp/0887510930
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Elementary Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: