Planning Group Work

<b> Forum for the discussion of all aspects of bilingual education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Madeline

Planning Group Work

Post by Madeline » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:32 pm

I have two different groups level 1-2 and level 3-4. 45 minutes each group. There has been times where I had them all at once for 45 minutes. 11 students and native language is spanish. Is it ok to group students that proficiency levels are different? I noticed if I group two students with level 1 proficiency they seem confused and can't work together with out my help. When I group level 1 and level 3 students level 1 students seem to enjoy being with the higher levels...it's like they know that if they group with them the assignment will get done. Is this wrong to group two different proficiency levels for a group assignment?

MelissaQ

Post by MelissaQ » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:53 pm

I think it’s a great idea to group two different proficiency levels for a group assignment! I would imagine that the students who are in the lower proficiency levels would feel more comfortable practicing speaking English in a smaller group setting as opposed to in front of the entire class. I would strategically plan the groups to make sure that there was a variety like you have done. I would also let the students in the higher levels know that they are the leaders in the group and should help facilitate the group work so that everyone participates and the students in the lower levels do not feel intimidated. When monitoring the groups, I would listen out to be sure you hear representations from students in all levels. It sounds like you are doing a great job!