Language assessment/washback

<b> Forum for the discussion of all aspects of bilingual education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Madeline

Language assessment/washback

Post by Madeline » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:56 pm

When I was in highschool I remember a teacher that would give me a letter grade and not give me any comments, or explanation for why it was wrong. He would say go home and try it again. I would look forward to feedback, because I wanted to find out what I had to study for any finals. My incorrect responses could have became a window of insight into further work. I always take my time to go over the wrong answers with my ELL students, and I do it verbally and I also write a response in thier test paper.

smantrach

Language Assessment

Post by smantrach » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:00 am

I totally agree with you. We should always give our students a feedback on their school work in general. I think this should be done all year around and not only at the time of year when we assess them. The students need our encouragements and support all the time. However, we will have students that will be functioning at different proficiency levels in the classroom, so we should set realistic expectations for all of them. Also, I think that it is up to the teacher to assess her/his students after each lesson and activity, to see if the objectives were achieved. This formative assessment is what will allow us to work with those students by using different instructional strategies that will meet their learning needs.