Student centered instruction

<b> Forum for the discussion of all aspects of bilingual education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

simone.brazil

Student centered instruction

Post by simone.brazil » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:57 pm

I was observed a while ago by my principle and she mentioned that I could use a little more of student centered instruction. I understand that when a student has a sense of ownership they feel more motivated and willing to work harder, however I am still not sure about what student centered instruction really mean. Help anyone?
Thank you.

teresa roll

Post by teresa roll » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:45 pm

What grade(s) are you teaching? The older the students the more student-centered the lesson should be. Also, what was lesson that was reviewed?

Did your principal elaborate on why he made this comment? Who is doing the most talking during the lesson? If you are teaching ESL, the students should be speaking more than you during the lesson. Does your principal think that you have too much TTT (teacher talk time)?

Sheila Collins

Post by Sheila Collins » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:09 am

Student-centred instruction means the curriculum and lessons are based on the students' needs and interests. You can discuss topics that are relevant to that particular group of students, spend more time on one area of interest or weakness, or just ask the students what they want to do during that class.

Student-centred instruction just takes the focus from the teacher and the textbook, and puts it on the students. Here's a website that explains the basics: http://www.aishe.org/readings/2005-1/on ... t_SCL.html

simo-tazi

Post by simo-tazi » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:59 pm

this is rely an interesting question; why don't you organize your classroom into small groups and use some activities that allow your students to interact and cooperate with each other? if you succeed in doing that, you will definitely impress your principle.

Michellekj

Teacher Talk Time % in the Lesson

Post by Michellekj » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:43 pm

This means that your TTT (teacher talk time) is a little high. Depending on the school, your boss and the curriculum, your speaking should be less than 50% of the lesson. Let the students do the speaking, make the mistakes, and correct them, Letting them make mistakes helps with memory.