ELL teacher training

<b> Forum for elementary education ESL/EFL teachers </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

sunflower03

ELL teacher training

Post by sunflower03 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:24 am

I believe that many teachers who do not have an ELL background have low expectations and misrepresent ELLs in their classroom. Many lack the knowledge and/or strategies to help ELLs succeed in their classroom. Therefore, school districts should train all teachers on helpful teaching strategies to support ELLs in their classroom. Districts should train all teachers on effective ways to engage ELLs in the classroom and on how to provide an environment that respects cultural diversity. Many teachers simply do not understand how to approach these students and it is up to our district and administrators to help them learn how to successfully reach this growing population.

longshikong

Re: ELL teacher training

Post by longshikong » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:25 am

sunflower03 wrote:I believe that many teachers who do not have an ELL background have low expectations and misrepresent ELLs in their classroom. Many lack the knowledge and/or strategies to help ELLs succeed in their classroom.
In N.A., it's all about the cost cutting. The rhetoric of Inclusive Education a decade ago meant $pec Ed was dissolved--suddenly every classroom teacher was tasked with the enormous undertaking of diversifying instruction to a spectrum of linguistically, physically, intellectually and behaviourally challenged students. That's why I dropped out of my B.Ed.

But even in EFL settings where I am, few have any training in teaching children and yet a significant number of us do just that. There's a lot of books on the market... As they said in my B.Ed, part of being a teacher means you've committed yourself to a lifetime of prof development (on your own time as staff meetings and PD days are too policy-oriented in my opinion)

andrewgessman

Post by andrewgessman » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:20 am

You’re definitely right; teachers without experience or training with ELLs need help. I’d also like to see the districts/administrators attempt to provide effective training, but I’m not holding my breath. Even if every district were able to find the funds, I’m not sure districts would do a very good job providing a universal training program. At best, it would be some time of impersonal “crash course” that might look good on paper, but lack substance. Not all teachers would be willing to participate either. I think it is up to ESL teachers themselves to approach mainstream teachers, reach out to them, provide them with the pointers they need, and continue collaborating with them throughout the year. Trained ESL teachers know what works and what doesn’t - why leave it up to administrators at the district level?