Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching & Speaking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Adult Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RachelMHansen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Teaching & Speaking Reply with quote

For my very first adult ELL clinical interview, I initially thought that my student had a pretty good comprehension of the English Language. However, upon analyzing the transcripts, I realized how wrong I was. What I had thought was comprehension was actually a lot of "yes" or "no" answers. Her correctly formed sentences were the ones in which she was able to model my preceding sentence pattern; her independent sentence structure was much less accurate. I have not had a lot of experience teaching yet and my question is:how can I more accurately assess an adult's English proficiency? I feel that adults can more easily appear to have a higher comprehension level through imitative speech (a strategy which is probably utilized in day to day life with other English speakers- such as at the store, etc).
Sally Olsen

Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You learn to understand before you speak and your student showed you this. It sounds like you are gaining good skills in finding out what people know. Transcripts are a great way for both you and your students to see their progress. It is time consuming but very useful. The students can do their own eventually if you show them how and they gain a lot from hearing and then correcting their own mistakes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Adult Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: