Students Pursuing ESL Teaching Certificates

<b> Forum for ESL/EFL teachers working with secondary school students </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

mlordon

Students Pursuing ESL Teaching Certificates

Post by mlordon » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:05 pm

Our graduate class has been watching "micro lessons" of each of the students in the class for the past two weeks. Our assignment was to design a unit lesson and then pick part of it to teach using the other students in the class as their 'pretend' ESL students. I have been awed by some of the lessons and I have been teaching ESL for more than 5 years. Some of the lessons were extraordinarily creative and engaging and I am sure I will not be the only one stealing these great ideas to use in my own classroom.

There were however some lessons that were way too difficult for not only ESL students but for the grade level itself. I even looked up the curriculum for these grades to make sure I wasn't mistaken because I teach lower elementary and thought maybe upper elementary students are learning more challenging material. I urge students studying to be teachers (not just ESL teachers) to become very familiar with their states curriculum for that grade level. It is hard enough to develop engaging lessons, make sure they are grade appropriate.