When the Power Goes Out, and CALL Fails

<b> Forum for the discussion on how to use computers and technology in the ESL/EFL classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

andrewgessman

When the Power Goes Out, and CALL Fails

Post by andrewgessman » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:37 am

It's obvious that Computed Assisted Learning (CALL) is very good and only getting better, as more and more classrooms gain access to technology and as technology itself improves. A whole new generation of teachers in training have come of age, and are now being trained, in the era of computers and information technology. I fall into this category, and know firsthand how easy it is to become dependent on technology both in and out of the classroom. I've taught in schools that don't have access to technology in the average classroom and so have learned how to do without it, but lots of other teachers in training have not had that experience. I'm worried that they are not learning how to adapt to situations where PowerPoints and reliable internet connections can't be counted on. If we (Generation Tech) automatically default to computers when called upon to plan and teach lessons, what happens when the power goes off one day and our lesson goes up in smoke? Will we have the savy to continue on and make do with a piece of chalk? Of course we ought to continue using and training to use technology in the classroom. It will be universal in the near future. But teachers in training should have the experience (hopefully while still in their training courses) of having a monkey wrench thrown into their plans, just so they can learn how to prepare for that in the future. They have to learn how to go analogue if need be. Most of all they have to learn to think on their feet, adapt to unforeseen circumstances, etc.