Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

classroom technology

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Computer Assisted Language Learning
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bethany.Blaine

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: classroom technology Reply with quote

Nowadays technology seems to be the number one teaching assistant. Where should the line be drawn between a healthy use of technology and overuse of technology in the classroom? I do not want to become reliable on software and technology to make it through everyday lessons. Are there workshops specifically for ESL teachers (who may not be as computer-savvy as others) who want to learn more about the available software for ESL classrooms or ELLs? I am in graduate school earning my teaching certification for ESL and really do not know what technology is considered excellent versus poor! Students most likely expect technology to be a big part of their everyday learning experience and I wouldn't want to start off behind the times.
andrewgessman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the spirit of your post: I donít want to become overly reliant on technology in the classroom at the expense of adaptability and comfort within traditional (analogue) settings. I also think that the rush toward using CALL (computer assisted learning) is based to some degree on hype, or the allure of glitz. But, as you pointed out, itís inevitable to a large degree; students will expect it and many have already come to rely on it. It will be ubiquitous in the near future, so we better get ready. I think that your grad program ought to be preparing you to use tech in the classroom, and coaching you on how to distinguish between excellent vs. poor use of tech. If so, youíre ahead of many other teachers in training. Many donít even think to ask the question in the first place. At least you know that poor use of technology is possible, and thatís a step toward recognizing how to avoid doing the same.
MelissaQ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew,
I can see why you would say that CALL is somewhat based on hype. Although, I think one of the best features regarding CALL would be the convenience for the students. These programs provide a safe place to make mistakes since the students can be alone on the computer. They are also nice because certain programs can be accessed at home, and the students can reinforce their learning on their own with immediate feedback. Not to mention, if the right program is found, it can be fun for the ELLs!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Computer Assisted Language Learning All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: