Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Meaningful learning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Assessment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simone.brazil

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Meaningful learning Reply with quote

I just wanted to know what current teachers thought about meaningful learning vs. rote memorization. Are there any words/phrases that you always encourage your students to memorize? We know that students end up learning more when they are learning the language to gain both skills and knowledge. Since the topics regarding meaningful learning are usually more interesting, the students are even more motivated to learn! So I just wanted to know how much time is spent on rote memorization in the classroom.
KatrinaB88

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: meaningful learning Reply with quote

Hi

Rote learning in my opinion is a waste of everybody's time. Practice on a certain point in context is however a good way to learn language. Rote learning is used predominantly in exam cultures where typically students can get an A in a given test but not be able to speak a sentence in a real life context or use any language 'out of the box'.

Best

katrina
www.greateng.com
Sally Olsen

Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use chants. There is a series of book - Jazz Chants and so on that are great. The students learned the chants by heart and really enjoyed them and they came up in conversations naturally.

I encouraged them to bring in their favourite English songs and we learned the words. At holidays, especially Crhistmas, we learned non-religious song and the little one learned children's songs by heart.

I encouraged them to learn a poem by heart as well and we had poetry day for them to recite their poetry. Good for the brain as well as for their English pronunciation. I would record the poem for them so they could get the rhythm and pronunciation if they wanted or get my male colleague to do it for the boys.

There are a lot of fun ways to memorize. I still remember the poems I memorized in school and they bring back a lot of good memories and sometimes some comfort.

One student I know memorized a whole book that she loved. Reminds me of a movie I saw about firemen who burned books and the main character was the only one who could recite the book verbatim. It preserved the book for the future. I hope we never come to that and it seems with the Internet we won't. I hope no one ever gets that power.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Assessment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: