Native language and English

<b>Forum for teachers teaching adult education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Kennen

Native language and English

Post by Kennen » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:19 pm

I'm conducting some polls on important issues of mastering various aspects of English as a second and a foreign language.
Do you agree with the allegations below? I'd appreciate your response.

Differences between one's native language and English in pronunciation, grammar, vocabulary and stylistic usage should not be ignored by foreign learners living and learning English in non-English speaking countries to master English thoroughly. When learning and using English foreign learners cannot but notice those differences between English and their native language. Knowledge of those differences by foreign learners of English is essential for understanding correct forms, meaning and use of English grammar and for vocabulary usage to reduce making mistakes in English as much as possible, especially in fine tricky points of English grammar, vocabulary and stylistic usage. Native language interference when learning and using English by foreign learners is a natural thing equally as translation is a natural language activity in human communication. Therefore native language interference when learning and using English cannot be prevented or eliminated until English has been mastered by foreign learners as good as their native language. Knowledge of phonetic, grammatical, lexical and stylistic differences between English and one's native language weakens natural native language interference when learning and using English.

Kennen

Bilingual and monolingual English learning courses

Post by Kennen » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:55 pm

In my view it is easier for foreign learners, especially for absolute beginners to study English for easier, better and quicker understanding through their native language explanations of English pronunciation, grammar and vocabulary. As you know there are also English courses in English only for learning and practising all four skills in one course in each lesson (listening, speaking, reading and writing alongside pronunciation, grammar and vocabulary). Four skills English courses include textbooks with audio and video recordings for all levels including for beginners and are suitable for self-study as well. There are also online English learning courses in English only. I believe English communicative integrated skills courses that practise listening, speaking, reading and writing alongside pronunciation, grammar and vocabulary are the most effective and the most comprehensive courses for adult learners of English. Would most foreign learners of English prefer bilingual English learning courses to monolingual English courses?