Ideas for 6-7 yrs olds please!

<b> Forum for elementary education ESL/EFL teachers </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Kate in Toulouse

Ideas for 6-7 yrs olds please!

Post by Kate in Toulouse » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:24 pm

Hi, I have a job teaching my daughter's French-speaking class of 6-7 yr olds. This is their first year so we're at the basics stage: colours, numbers, my name is etc.... Focus is entirely on oral skills.

Any ideas for fun games to encourage them to talk? I've downloaded lots of flashcards as prompts.

I sing like a dying duck, so please don't suggest songs :lol:

Thank you!

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:52 pm

Use records, CDs or an MP3 player with song recorded.

You have the ideal informant in your daughter as to what the children are interested in.

Our 6 and 7 year old kids love bugs. "Worms" was a great topic. We had five tables - one with the children feeling different kinds of soil, finding out how porous it was by pouring water through, finding out how much nutrition there was from each one, making a poster by gluing on the soil at different levels and then handling worms and finding out their parts. It was a huge success and the kids talked about it for weeks afterwards. Any science project will intrigue them I'm sure.

Have you visited enchantedlearning.com for ideas?

There are a ton of ideas from past posts - just click on a name in this section and you will see past posts with many, many ideas.

longshikong

Re: Ideas for 6-7 yrs olds please!

Post by longshikong » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:47 pm

Kate in Toulouse wrote:Hi, I have a job teaching my daughter's French-speaking class of 6-7 yr olds.
I saw a grade 4 teacher in Canada use a French video of animals and their young which he knew would appeal to the kids--he pre-taught them some of the language.