Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guidelines for chit chatting at lunch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Activities and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pengyou

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Guidelines for chit chatting at lunch Reply with quote

I want to invite my students to have lunch with me in the cafeteria once a semester - in groups of 3 or 4. I want them to build a conversation for the lunch time. I will give them some guidelines but I wish I could find a segment of tv program, movie or even an educational video that shows people chatting over lunch. Any ideas?
shelleyvernon

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I recommend that lunchtime conversations be natural, and not based on something that you prepared ahead of time.

Use the time to get to know your students outside of class, they will feel as though you are genuinely interested in them, be flattered and most likely behave better in class as a consequence.

They will enjoy eating lunch with you more too if they feel as though you are not trying to teach them something, but taking an interest in them.

For fun activities to use with teens and adults to improve conversations and speaking skills (but NOT at lunch! during class time...) check out my book on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/ESL-Classroom-Activities-Teens-Adults/dp/1478213795

Or from here as a PDF download via email with extras:
http://teachingenglishgames.com/adults.htm

All the best
Shelley
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Activities and Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: