Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Creating an ESL Program -- Suggestions Appreciated

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Secondary School Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chibbard

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:39 am    Post subject: Creating an ESL Program -- Suggestions Appreciated Reply with quote

Hello all,

I am the secondary ESL teacher at an international school which has almost no structure for the ESL program. When I came to the school, I was given previous lesson plans, not-level appropriate textbooks, and a schedule.

I'm working to create proposals which would help to create an actual ESL program.

Have any of you had experience in working with the beginning stages of creating an ESL program? What advice do you have?

So far, my main push is to establish clear goals and purposes for the ESL program. I want to present reasons why English Learners are assets. I want to see ESL not a part of the Special Needs Department. I want there to be a loose curriculum. I want there to be clear expectations of the ESL teacher to collaborate with content-area teachers.

I also want to present future goals, such as: ESL classes are divided by ability, not age.

Thank you for any thoughts, suggestions, or encouragement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Secondary School Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: