Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how to assess students?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Assessment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jianglisa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: how to assess students? Reply with quote

i want to ask for advice from everybody, i feel very confused about assessment on students. because we have little time in class for practice or examination, so i dont' how i can know how well they master the knowledge.
Brianna

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: I think it is easy . Reply with quote

If you want to assess on their knowledge how they master or not, in class you can ask them some questions, and after the class, you can give them some assignments and one of the direstest is to examine.
Shiwei

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: My opinion Reply with quote

I think you can ask students to do self-assessments or peer-assessments. You can calss the students into several groups and every one have to assess all the members of the group. In this way they can get a sincere assessment from their classmates.
stella1980

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can submit them a quiz or written tests or maybe you can ask some short but significative questions to 2 or 3 of them every lessons so in 2 about weeks you'll have done a general assessment of your class.
An interesting way of testing is the role play, try it!
=)
labonteesl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: oral assessment Reply with quote

About 30 years ago in Korea I developed a system identifying the top 150 English conversation patterns. There is a free oral assessment test that I can e mail to you reflecting this. Also, if you would like a list of the 150 that I compilated let me know and I will e mail free of charge. Thanks. Don La Bonte
MegCast

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Shiwei’s suggestion of using self- and peer- assessments. This will help keep students involved and motivated as they learn to monitor performance. Students can assess by using checklists, setting their own goals, and asking partners for confirmation. This type of assessment will also strengthen their editing and proofreading skills.
Brie M.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assessing ELL students can be hard when you want to use your time for lessons and practice. When I prepare the lesson, I also prepare a checklist with the skills I am targeting and my students' names on it. Then I can keep simple anecdotal notes with a plus, check, or minus as we work on the skills and when I ask them questions. I also leave a space where I can jot notes down. This way I have a simple assessment of the students' skills and organized notes about the students strengths and weaknesses. I also incorporate some quick quizzes to have more formal assessments.
longshikong

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assessment starts with clearly defined objectives and you shouldn't be restricting yourself to only one assessment tool or time with which to do so.

I've been able to track down half a dozen e-books on the subject as schools and this forum have clearly not been very helpful. PM me and I'd be glad to share them with you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Assessment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: