Separation Anxiety

<b> Forum for teachers working with preschool children </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

katherinejones24

Separation Anxiety

Post by katherinejones24 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:23 am

Any suggestions on how to handle separation anxiety in preschool children? As you all know, this can be very chaotic.

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:36 am

KatrinaB88

separation anxiety

Post by KatrinaB88 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:28 am

I think first you need to look at the age of the child who is suffering separation anxiety. I work in Hong Kong and a lot of kids are sent off to formal school way to early in my opinion, 2 years old......, so are basically not ready for this type of education. That said generally, most preschool teachers and reception year teachers advise parents to deliver the child to the teacher, hug child dearly with words of encouragement, see you later etc and then depart the premises. The teachers and assistants in the classroom are very experienced in handling anxious children. Of course if the anxiety is going on and not abating, then perhaps a more thorough investigation of the causes are in order. Rewarding and praising children for 'risk taking/bravery' go a long way too.

KatrinaB88

separation anxiety

Post by KatrinaB88 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:31 am

I think first you need to look at the age of the child who is suffering separation anxiety. I work in Hong Kong and a lot of kids are sent off to formal school way to early in my opinion, 2 years old......, so are basically not ready for this type of education. That said generally, most preschool teachers and reception year teachers advise parents to deliver the child to the teacher, hug child dearly with words of encouragement, see you later etc and then depart the premises. The teachers and assistants in the classroom are very experienced in handling anxious children. Of course if the anxiety is going on and not abating, then perhaps a more thorough investigation of the causes are in order. Rewarding and praising children for 'risk taking/bravery' go a long way too.

silencedobetter

Post by silencedobetter » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:06 am

Thanks, this is very helpful Sally.