How to combine classic music in class

<b> Forum for discussing activities and games that work well in the classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Ilana

How to combine classic music in class

Post by Ilana » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:52 pm

Hello everyone,
Im supposed to teach a unit(5 lessons) to 5th grade about classic music such as: Beethoven.
I was asked to use the "flat stanely" method and im having a hard time figuring out how to actually do it.
I would appreciate your advice.
Thank you very much!

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:22 pm

As i remember, Flat Stanley was a little boy who was squished by something heavy and then his mother sent him all over the world in an envelope to find out about different counties and even to space. You could get the children to make a flat picture of themselves, laminate it in some way (you can use wide packing tape). I would encourage them to picture themselves playing an instrument. If you give them a template that they can fill in, they will be standard.

Then send them off to music schools, operas, music festivals, etc. and ask that they take the flat student around while they are playing or have them sit in a performance or even in the orchestra, etc. and send back pictures and perhaps a tape of the performance

This requires that you teach the children the kinds of instruments that they would use for classical music.

You can play classical music as they colour and copy a master letter.

Make sure you send a few to people you know will respond and hope for the best for the rest.

lip420

Post by lip420 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:42 pm

You could play it while the kids draw (free association) or while they take an exam.