Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mispronunciation? search for a balanced way to assist

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Pronunciation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yehudaelbo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Mispronunciation? search for a balanced way to assist Reply with quote

Hi all,
My name is Yehuda and I'm a first year student at Levinsky college in Isreal.
During the year we participate in active teaching in a training school as an assistant teachers.
That experience made me realize there are many cases of mispronunciation among children.
My interest is in finding a balance when encountering such cases in the matter of correcting\not correcting? everytime? in what ways or methods will it be helpfull to my training teacher?
appreciate your answers Very Happy
Sally Olsen

Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I can't understand the word or sentence then I try to guess what the student is saying and say it out loud as long as I know the student won't react. If the student is shy or sensitive I would usually let it go but make a note and try to practice with the class in some fun game or chant. You can also have students talk on tape or on the computer and have them listen. They might pick up their error or might if you play the tape in a month or so. Most mistakes will be corrected as they grow so I wouldn't worry.

A more difficult problem is if the teacher is teaching them the wrong thing. I found this quite often with native speaking English teachers and the students will defend their teacher unto death -the same with parents. But no one will continue if it is necessary to speak clearly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Pronunciation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: