ESL and Common Core Math

<b> Forum for ESL/EFL teachers working with secondary school students </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

MsRookieTeach

ESL and Common Core Math

Post by MsRookieTeach » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:33 pm

Greetings, teachers.

I want to know what other ESL teachers think about the Common Core and Math, and if they have any strategies for secondary students who have to take exams at the end of the year.

I am in New York, and my students have to take the Algebra regents in June. I have four ELLs I am concerned about, and three of them are barely beginners. One just arrived and is still in his silent period and often phases out, even when I am sitting with him. The other ones tend to get what is going on in math and are sometimes able to complete the math tasks without help. The problem is that the tests require students to describe how and why they are completing their math tasks. I might as well be asking them to rewrite the collected works of Shakespeare. The adapted testing/grading I end up giving them in class assessments is not what they will be getting in June.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get my beginner-beginner kids linguistically ready for exams?