Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Conversation Classes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Adult Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaureenQC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Conversation Classes Reply with quote

I give 2-hour classes of English conversation once a week to multi-level baby-boomers who have varying levels of knowledge of grammar. We use a lot of speaking activities (role play, board games, pictionary, mystery & alibi games, and much, much more).

I also add in exercises to increase their vocabulary and to correct their more major difficulties (time & place prepositions, idioms, phrasal verbs and collocations). In both cases (speaking acitivities and paper exercises) most of the students thank me and ask for more making me think I might be on the right track.

However, one or two insist that the paper activities be completely eliminated, keeping only the speaking activities. Is my approach wrong?

We also offer an intensive 1-month boot camp (3 hours/day, 3 days/week, 4 weeks) with only speaking activities.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Sally Olsen

Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where?
You might have one or two keen students who do their own work with textbooks or online courses and just come to you for the conversational aspect. I would ask more questions to find out what they really mean
beckibenedict

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you in Japan? I've taught many of these classes with the same requests from students.

You could try doing anonymous feedback in your next lesson. Simply ask them for comments and suggestions.

If it were me, I think I would scrap the paper exercises and try to incorporate the same material as feedback after the speaking activity is finished. For example, if during the role play you hear incorrect use of prepositions, then afterwards explain the correct use on the board (informally, without the use of a handout). You will have to listen and make notes during the role play for actual mistakes.

After the activity, point out that these were actual mistakes you heard. This will make it more real to the students and help them to improve.
ncaraway

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think your approach is wrong. However, it probably depends on what the students are getting elsewhere. For example, I teach two conversation classes. The school also provides grammar, writing, and test-prep classes. Therefore, the students come to my classes solely to practice conversation. That doesn't mean I don't cover vocabulary, phrasal verbs, etc. It's just that it's usually coincidental (i.e., when I notice students making a mistake) or in response to a student question.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Adult Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: