ESL teachers' ultimate power tool: CorrectiveFeedback.com

<b> Forum for the discussion on how to use computers and technology in the ESL/EFL classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Bokomaru

ESL teachers' ultimate power tool: CorrectiveFeedback.com

Post by Bokomaru » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:22 pm

I am excited to announce that http://CorrectiveFeedback.com/, my new website is now ready for beta testing. It's free for now and will be cheap to use once beta testing is complete. The idea is to provide teachers with a suite of power tools to assist with corrective feedback on ESL assignments.

Here are just some of the highly-configurable tools available on the system:
  • +Target Structure Tool (Check for target utterances in Ss' texts--inspired by Concordia Professor Beth Gatbonton's methodology.)
    +VirtualWritingTutor Tool (Check for errors using the VWT's error detection rules, but hide false alarms and low-priority correction messages. )
    +FieldRelated Tool (Check for field-of-study vocabulary)
    +Word Choice Tool (Check for academic word list)
    +Statistics Tool (word count, sentence length)
    +Automatic Randomized Comments (Define your comments in advance and the system will randomly select one for you to give your student. You always sound fresh and can maintain the voice-of-the-reader no matter how tired you feel.)
    +Audio Tool (Send MP3 messages with your comments--a virtual writing conference.)
    +Pronunciation Tool (Check, model with TTS, and score target pronunciation using penalties and rewards.)
    +Rubric Tool (Define expectations with descriptors and scores.)
    +Total Score Tool (Calculate the score generated by the other tools and display it with comments.)
    +Other tools either do pre-defined searches or load pre-defined rubrics which you can modify.
    +New tools on their way
Ts start by creating a grid. Tools are collected, sequenced, configured and saved as a grid. Grid can be modified at any time.
Ss can email their assignments to the teacher's @correctivefeedback.com email address, and Ts can return feedback in the form of a PDF attachment to the student's email address. Ts can also copy/paste Ss' text for manual checking. I am working on creating an import tool from Google Forms. The goal is to make the provision of corrective feedback easier, better and faster.

Altogether, it is a very powerful system. New features are on their way. I hope you like it.